Built in the XIIIth century along river Lambro, S. Angelo Castle was built according to the standards of Lombard military architecture with a quadrilateral plan and squared towers. This former military complex belonging to Milan Lordship was later turned into the summer residence by Bernabò Visconti’s wife, who had the Mastra Tower (Donjon) built in 1383 together with the lovely mullioned windows of two lights. In 1452 the castle was donated to Michele Matteo Bolognini by Francesco Sforza and it remained an estate of the Bolognini family until their last heir, Count Gian Giacomo Morando Bolognini was alive. In 1993 Countess Lydia Caprara Morando Bolognini, the Count’s widow, created the Morando Bolognini Trust to honour the memory of her late husband and to support research and popularization in the field of agriculture and thus donated the castle to serve as museum premises.
Strutture nelle vicinanze